Monday, May 6, 2013

Race Day!


Sunday, May 5th

I loaded up on some corn and rice last night for my carbs and felt great walking over to the starting gates. Met up with the crew from the WCRC for a pre-race photo. We had 5 of us running today. Some poor planning had me enter the starting corral near the front. I didn't belong here...yet, but the wave of fast runners ensured a fast start for my jittery legs. Any nerves quickly evaporated once we started running. Opened up with an 8:30 first mile but it was downhill and I was extra fresh coming off 4 days’ rest. Settled down to a 9 minute pace which I held through the opening 6 miles. Started to tire on some of the hills but maintained a 9:20 pace through 10, then gave way to finish final 3 miles 31:30. Had a great time and weather was outstanding. Sunny and 60 with a slight cooling breeze.

Final Time 2:06:54
This Irish Kenyan is just getting started.


Next race is May 23rd - JP Morgan Corporate Challenge - 3.5 miles.

Western Cook Running Club
Showing off our Post Race Bling

No comments:

Post a Comment