Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Westmont St Jude Race to the Flag Recap

Sunday, May 26th

This was my first race where there were less than 5,000 participants and everyone would be running against the gun time. There was only 350 other runners, so I found myself racing up near the front. Felt great to be moving fast and keeping the leaders in sight. Adrenaline was rocking. I hit the 1st mile mark in 7:05 and felt great. In my head I was already doing the math 7 + 7 + 7. At this point I’m thinking 21 – 22 minutes. Considering my PR was 24:26 I was elated. This feeling of elation was; however, short lived as I quickly began to crumble. I ran mile 2 in 8:15 and the final 1.1 miles was 9:04 to finish in 24:24. A new PR nonetheless, but only by 2 seconds :(

They had a great pancake breakfast afterwards and we stayed around for the awards ceremony. My wife won a silver medal for taking 2nd in her age group and Dan from the WCRC finished 6th overall. Nice work! - My medals will come in due time.

No comments:

Post a Comment