Friday, May 31, 2013

Epic Run at Swallow Cliff

The weather held out for our run and we all got a killer workout.  In the parking lot there was a nice cool breeze from the approaching storm.  Temps had seemingly dropped by 10 degrees in the past hour so it was shaping up to be a good night.  We applied some bug spray and were on our way.  It started with 6 of us heading up the 126 stairs to the trail head and we were off.  The plan was to do a 4 mile loop until Maria suggested that we turn back at the 3 mile mark and extend it to 6 miles.  4 of us said sure, whatever and 2 carried on with the original plan.  About a mile into the decision, the point of no return, I really wished I too had stuck to the 4 mile plan.  The breeze in the parking lot was non-existent in the dense forest/sauna trail.  I started to lag behind the other 3 at the 4.5 mile mark.  What was predominantly a 3 mile downhill start morphed into a mountainous 3 mile climb for the way home.  At two points I had to walk for a minute to let the “tingling” subside.  I did finally make back to the top of the stairs where I did my best Rocky impersonation before heading down to meet back up with the crew.

Oh by the way, I had to ask 2 women on horseback for directions as I was sure I had gotten lost – just needed to keep going.  In the end I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.  Best work out of the season!  I suppose if I could make just one change, I would have bought those NipGuards when they were on sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment